Go get published

Monday, September 22, 2008

Halaal?

Since around 20 days, my home looks like a terrorist bomb site. My whole terrace has been laid with marble. Which when was about to get finished my landlord thought of doing more beautifications.

Anyway, I have a nice rapport with the workers.

Yesterday we ordered a bucket of chicken masala. Which was enormous, and we could'nt even finish a quarter of it. Now S had this good idea of giving rest of the chicken to the workers. So today morning I asked them.
You guys do have chicken, right?
Haan bhaiyya we do have chicken, but we only have the halaal kind.
okkk.

Now I was slightly pissed off. Then I wondered should I be? I personally have eaten non-veg in my muslim friends'. And they have eaten in mine. Should the religious rules be followed rigidly or should they be considered as guidelines which when the context demands can be broken?

5 Comments:

Blogger Divyanshu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:21 AM

 
Blogger Divyanshu said...

I didn't know that halaal thing has any religious significance? I thought that halaal is just a way of preparing non-veg......

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Prashant Das said...

Ummm,

While your observation is right, and I share your emotions (opinions) to some extents, I would say that the paradigm you discussed is not comprehensive. At least it does not appear to be.
It equally applies to, say, Hindus. What is wrong in eating cow if eating goat, deer even buffalo is not a sin?

The religious symbolisms and laws must have been made with some logic pertinent to space and time. Just that we forgot the exact reason.

The bottom line- Yes, several religious beliefs dont seem to assert logic these days!

8:23 AM

 
Blogger kaa said...

I am not contesting the logic of religious beliefs. as you say they might be based on logic/space-time. say for example eating a particular animal in a particular area with a particular climate may be bad for health.that would be logical and based on space time. but when people move around the world, the space time argument goes for a toss.

what i am asking is what does being religious should ideally mean? is sticking to the doctrine at all times religious. or taking some things and leaving others, depending on the time or space, religious. who decides which is more relevant and which is not?

12:03 PM

 
Blogger Faded Glory said...

d post reminds me of a dialogue b naseeruddin shah in khuda ke liye -daadi mein deen nahi, deen mein daadi hai.

That describes it all!

3:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Do check out the new site: